[lit-ideas] Re: Muhammed and the Giant Peach

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 17:31:55 -0800

You say "Lawrence, geez": as though I must agree with our assumptions.  I
don't agree with them.  I heard some commentators use the "flower" term as a
symbol for what happened in France and some of the other European countries
after WWII, but they were using that as one end of the spectrum of possible
happen, but regardless that isn't what I was talking about.  I was talking
about the negative expectations, the "bad things" that some feared might
happen.  And they didn't happen.  Compared to other wars this one was
superbly fought and amazing in what it achieved.  And yes they did have a
plan for what to do after Saddam fell.  I listened to several discussions of
Iraqi intellectuals on C-SPAN talking about what would happen after we
defeated Saddam.  They were ready to move back and take over.  They had
plans.  They were in discussion with the government about them.  And they
did go back.  And they did take part in the government.

As to our experience, we have been the most successful nation builder in
modern times.  We rebuilt Japan, and we rebuilt Europe.  We are now
concentrating upon Iraq and we are succeeding there as well.  Did we foresee
all the difficulties, of course not.  We proceeded by fits and starts in
Japan and Europe as well.  Did everything go perfectly?  No, but no one with
any sense of history would expect that it would.  We have managed all the
difficulties we have encountered, and the fears that Berman mentions the
head of Pasadran having are in the process of being realized.  The
Democratic government is succeeding.  The Sunni Ba'athist insurgents are
losing heart.  And some of them are negotiating a return.  The Ba'athist
insurgents are firing upon the Al Quaeda and Iranian infiltrators.

In regard to who respect the bad things I mentioned, these were experts at
the time who were commenting upon what might happen, not the military
carrying out the action.  Rumsfeld and Tommy Franks expected things to go
well and they did.  I have in mind the Generals, Colonels and diplomats CNN,
MSNBC, Fox and other stations hired as "experts."    They didn't actually
say these things would happen but they feared that they might.

Lawrence

  _____