[lit-ideas] Re: Muhammed and the Giant Peach

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 23:45:03 +0000 (GMT)

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for posting the Canadian article, Andreas.
> I think Bush is a jerk for trying to appease the
> outraged Muslims, who clearly don't understand
> pluralism.

I was involved, briefly, with a row on a different
list, all-US except for me, re Chris Ofili's use of
elephant dung on a Madonna.  When I explained, in true
pluralist fashion, who Ofili was and why he painted as
he did, the list owner -- who'd been trying to placate
the baying mob -- was really pleased.  But the bm were
not convinced...

Incidentally "pluralism" has many meanings but
presumably in this context it implies a certain
sensitivity to the possible feelings of others

> This raises another more general problem: the
> inability of the West to defend itself
> intellectually and culturally. Be proud, do not
> apologize. Do we have to go on apologizing for the
> sins our fathers? Do we still have to apologize,
> for example, for the British Empire,

I've known many Indians; I've never felt myself called
upon to apologise for the British Empire nor have they
commented on my apparently to them memsahibness -- as
a British person who thinks I sound posh might do and
as they sometimes do do.  The "apology" is more a
national/institutional phenomenon.

-- but in rural, mountainous Greece, a long time ago,
I was made to feel unwelcome by some because of the
betrayal of its Communist partisans after the War.
(By 3-4 people, out of the many I met there.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff

http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry