[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Judgment and Perceptual Metaphor -- Good to Think?

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 05:47:43 -0400 (EDT)

I really think you should pay more attention to Grice's cure for cancer.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

From Haidt's quotes:

"Morality is so rich and complex."

As opposed to 'poor and simple'. In general, 'rich' is overused.

"Itÿÿs so multifaceted and contradictory. But many authors reduce it to a
single principle, which is usually some variant of welfare maximization. So
that  would be the sugar. Or sometimes, itÿÿs justice and related notions of
fairness  and rights. And that would be the chemist down the street. So
basically, thereÿÿs  two restaurants to choose from. Thereÿÿs the utilitarian
grille, and thereÿÿs the  deontological diner. Thatÿÿs pretty much it."

I think he has it right. Grice who disliked a choice, would say, "Kantotle"
(or Ariskant), or how to make a deontological diner in the utilitarian
(teleological, I prefer) grille.

"We need metaphors and analogies to think about difficult topics, such as
morality."

We don't. Morality boils down to conation. And there's nothing metaphoric
as "She wanted to kill him". A propositional attitude, like "... wants ..."
is  build upon a "THEORETICAL" concept ('want' now, part of psychological
theory).

Vide, Grice: Method in philosophical psychology: from the banal to the
bizarre: now repr. in one of the best morality books published in the 90s: The
Conception of Value (ed. by J. Baker out of Grice's notes for the Carus
Lectures  -- Grice died in 1988).

"An analogy that Marc Hauser and John Mikhail have developed in recent
years is that morality is like language. And I think itÿÿs a very, very good
metaphor. It illuminates many aspects of morality."

R. M. Hare said it much better, "The language of morals", but bored Grice
so!

"Itÿÿs particularly good, I think, for sequences of actions that occur in
time with varying aspects of intentionality. But, once we expand the moral
domain beyond harm, I find that metaphors drawn from perception become more
illuminating, more useful."

Well, no need to GO metaphorical. Both 'see' and 'want' usually take (or
should ALWAYS) take 'that'-clause. He saw the sun. He wanted Mary. But in
fact,  it's "he saw that the sun was rising", or "He wanted to make love to
Mary", i.e.  "he wanted that he would make love to Mary". Nothing metaphorical
there.

"Iÿÿm not trying to say that the language analogy is wrong or deficient. Iÿÿ
m  just saying, letÿÿs think of another analogy, a perceptual analogy."
McCreery  adds: "To an anthropologist entranced for more than four decades by
Levi-Straussÿÿ call to consider the ÿÿlogic in tangible qualitiesÿÿ"

---- pretty vague. All qualities are MORE than 'tangible'. Seeing is not
really 'tangible'. It's like saying, with Saint Exupery, 'what is essential
is  invisible to the eyes'. Pretty nonsensical. There are 'perceptual qualia'
to use  the philosopher's lexicon (singular, 'quale'). A quale is a very
difficult thing  to conceptualise, and we don't need 'tangible', misused,
attached to it.

---- vide Peacocke, a disciple of Grice, "Sense and content". Oxford:
Clarendon Press. In general, the moral theorists who believe that there are
"real" moral qualia out there oppose Peacocke and adopt an approach more like
Blackburn's quasi-realism concerning attitudes. All wrong!

"and a student of Victor Turner, who envisions dominant symbols as  bipolarÿÿ
one pole a cluster of concepts the other, the sensory pole, a cluster of
tangible qualities that evoke powerful emotions, Haidtÿÿs thinking is highly
appealing. What say others here?"

I like the bipolar thing, but refudiate it. No need to go Dualists, and
Cartesian Dualists at something pretty simple.

Take,

"The cat is on the mat"

--- that's a concept, or it involves the concepts -- Fregean senses --
'cat', 'mat', 'to be on'. Surely there are perceptual attachments to each
concepts.

If you say, with Palin,

"Chortles refudiate frumiously", unless you provide a perceptual correlate
to the alleged concepts (e.g. 'refudiate') we don't know what we are
meaning.  And it's ALL, pace Grice, about meaning.

J. L. Speranza
The Swimming-Pool Library
Villa Speranza, Bordighera

John
--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama,  JAPAN

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)