[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Judgment and Perceptual Metaphor -- Good to Think?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 14:02:22 -0700

John McCreery quotes Jonathan Haidt.

/Morality is so rich and complex. It’s so multifaceted and contradictory. But many authors reduce it to a single principle, which is usually some variant of welfare maximization. So that would be the sugar. Or sometimes, it’s justice and related notions of fairness and rights. And that would be the chemist down the street. So basically, there’s two restaurants to choose from. There’s the utilitarian grille, and there’s the deontological diner. That’s pretty much it./

Well, really, Mr Haidt should get out more. That 'morality' is 'rich and complex' is easy to say. What's harder to say is where this richness and this complexity lie—in philosophical theories of morality; in the blunders and confusions of difficult human choices; in trying to explain the emotional and rational basis of the virtues; in talking of grief, guilt, happiness, freedom, responsibility, joy, love, friendship, loss and a thousand other things? Which of these Mr Haidt has in mind is not clear. To say that utilitarianism (Mills' or Rawls') and a rule-governed morality based on Kantian duty are 'pretty much it,' is to display an astonishing intellectual carelessness.

/We need metaphors and analogies to think about difficult topics, such as morality. An analogy that Marc Hauser and John Mikhail have developed in recent years is that morality is like language. And I think it’s a very, very good metaphor. It illuminates many aspects of morality. It’s particularly good, I think, for sequences of actions that occur in time with varying aspects of intentionality.
/

Whether we /need/ metaphors and analogies to think about 'difficult topics' (as Plato did with his analogy between the psyche and the polis, or as Kukele did with his dream of ouroboros and the benzene ring) would seem to be an empirical claim about cognition. What troubles me is that I have no idea what it is to think about morality on its own, apart from thinking about some of the perplexities I mentioned earlier, that is the /stuff/ of moral concern.

What really aroused me from my mid-morning slumbers was that Haidt seems not to have heard of, let alone read or thought about the philosophers who have actually written on moral issues in sharp, sensitive and illuminating ways, whose insights go well beyond a crude taxonomy of moral 'theories' such as one might find in an elementary textbook. I have in mind Martha Nussbaum's explorations in such works as /The Fragility of Goodness/, and /Love's Knowledge/, and Amélie Rorty's many essays on a range of subjects central to the philosophy of human actions and desires. The bibliography on her Web page http://amelierorty.blogspot.com/ should be evidence that Mr Haidt knows little if anything of recent (well, hardly /recent/) philosophical work on investigations that should be of most concern to him.

/But, once we expand the moral domain beyond harm, I find that metaphors drawn from perception become more illuminating, more useful. I’m not trying to say that the language analogy is wrong or deficient. I’m just saying, let’s think of another analogy, a perceptual analogy./

I'll end my peevish remarks by saying again that to speak of 'morality' as being this or that by using metaphors and analogies drawn from this place or that place would seem to be the stuff of academic cocktail parties.

John himself says

To an anthropologist entranced for more than four decades by Levi-Strauss’ call to consider the “logic in tangible qualities” and a student of Victor Turner, who envisions dominant symbols as bipolar–one pole a cluster of concepts the other, the sensory pole, a cluster of tangible qualities that evoke powerful emotions, Haidt’s thinking is highly appealing. What say others here?

I say that I'd like to hear more about what John has taken from Levi-Strauss and Turner, that is, some specific examples of it; and further, that I don't see how his's own suggestive remarks are inany way depend upon Mr Haidt's blinkered pronouncements.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute