[lit-ideas] Re: Milk

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:27:25 -0700

AR:

Cows release gas. The methane in cows is a significant part of global warming.

By 2167, the earth will be a wasteland and humanity reduced to a struggle for survival, all caused by Andy's unrepentant use of cream in his coffee.

AA:

…don't quote me, but I think the gas humans release is a lot more than what cows do. If nothing else, there are a lot more humans. It's why our plumbing has to have the elbow and be vented just so, so the gases don't back up and houses don't explode.

Online 'expert' (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_176.html): Ninety percent of animal methane is produced by ruminants (i.e., cud-chewers). These include sheep, goats, camels, water buffalo, and so on, but most of all cattle, of which the world has an estimated 1.2 billion.

Fascinating.

Robert Paul
Department of Gastrophilosophy
Mutton College