[lit-ideas] Re: Mexican protesting

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:42:29 -0700

In regard to France, I have read similar comments in Jonathan Fenby's France
on the Brink, Jean-Francois Revel's Anti-Americanism, and Bruce Bawer's
While Europe Slept.  Bawer spent a lot of time in Holland and Norway and the
same seems to be true in those nations, but worse in Holland.  Oriana
Fallaci waxed in eloquent outrage about this sort of thing happening in
Italy (in her books The Rage and the Pride, and The Force of Reason).
Claire Berlinski generalizes about much of Europe in Menace in Europe, Why
the Continent's Crisis is America's Too.  Perhaps her treatment of Germany
is most interesting.  I've also encountered this common assessment in a
great number of articles.  By the way, I have also read Daniel Pipes
Militant Islam Reaches America.  The tenor of his book is different from the
other's I've mentioned.  Certain things have happened here but as much as
anything they involve inattention.  We do finally wake up and arrest the
Islamists for breaking our laws.  We do have our multiculturalists, but they
are apparently not as pervasive as they are in continental Europe.

The head covering issue is always mentioned by those who argue that Islamic
is not making Islamic inroads into European society.  It presented as a sign
that France is cracking down on Islamic intrusions, but France has probably
had more Islamic intrusions than any other European country.  It invites in
immigrants and doesn't impose any requirements on them.  They don't need to
have jobs.  They don't need to speak French.  They don't need to get a job.
Furthermore they can live in the Islamic enclave if their choice.  Muslims
need to have their prayer time.  They need to be off Friday.  They need
halal food.  They need you to not joke about anything they do or say,
especially not anything about Islam or Mohammad.  Maybe you are used to
joking about Christianity, but you'd better not do that with Islam or we'll
burn your cars.  We'll burn a whole bunch of cars.  Then too, daughters are
mutilated at the desire of the parents with no interference.  If someone
wants several wives, no one will arrest him.  If a father needs to kill his
daughter to preserve the honor of the family, he will receive a light
sentence for doing so, because that is "there way," and their way (not the
French way which has laws against these actions) needs to be respected.

Lawrence

  _____