[lit-ideas] Re: Mexican protesting

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:35:09 -0700

On May 2, 2006, at 7:53 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

<x-tad-bigger>  We are a nation of immigrants who until recently came here legally; so a lot of people may be resenting this new group which “gets” to come in here illegally and then stay. </x-tad-bigger>

I don't think "who until recently came here legally" is absolutely correct. I am reminded of a conversation with a colleague about how her Polish ancestors arrived in the U.S. One arrived in the U.S. and went through the procedure to obtain a passport. Then the passport was mailed back to Poland and another family member used it. I think she said twenty family members used the same passport. How they got around the problems of photography and gender difference, I don't know.

If anyone is interested in the history of passports, here are some good places to start:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/beyond/factsheets/makhist/makhist8_prog7c.shtml
http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/passport/

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon