[lit-ideas] Re: Mexican protesting

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 07:53:43 -0700

Joseph,

A: No.

B: I hope not.

In continental Europe immigrants have had success in flouting the law,
especially in forcing various nations to accept Islamic standards in lieu of
their own.  Europe has been fairly successful in restricting the influence
of Christianity, but it hasn't been willing to apply those same restrictions
to Islam.  Why?  Because those fellows get mad burn cars and blow things up.
Fortunately our Hispanic neighbors aren't as suicidal or violent as Europe's
Islamic neighbors.  On the other hand, the U.S. is not yet without a chest
and so might behave differently if that were to happen.

It is fairly well known that our economy owes quite a bit to the influx of
Hispanic immigrants.  A high rate of immigration makes up for a low birth
rate among citizens.  Population increase is necessary to a healthy growing
economy.  So we want immigrants to keep coming.  We are a nation of
immigrants who until recently came here legally; so a lot of people may be
resenting this new group which "gets" to come in here illegally and then
stay.

The legal requirements for immigrants set standards that enable us to
minimize the sorts of problems the continental Europeans are having.  So if
a group gets to violate those standards, perhaps we may be opening ourselves
up to the sort of trouble we read about in France & elsewhere in Europe.
However the illegal Hispanic immigrants don't seem to behave any different
from the legal Hispanic immigrants so, yawn - I hear lots of yawning, why
worry.

Lawrence