[lit-ideas] Re: Memorial to the Unknown Tree

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:32:36 -0800

> Mr. Jack Huckaboomloo,
> Associate Partner,
> Laurels-Swan-Locust, Inc.
> Memorial to the Unknown Tree by David Ritchie Foundation
> 1611 Memorial to the Unknown Tree Road
> Ritchie, VA 20010
>

> Dear Mr. Huckaboomloo,

I wonder if you would pass on a request to Mr. Ritchie, whose work we, who
alas have only seen it reproduced, admire very much?  As everone on this
side of the "pond" knows, ever since Charles Saatchi paid one hundred and
fifty thousand pounds for Tracey Emin's bed, the market for objects
associated with celebrity artists has been hot.  Clearly Mr. Ritchie falls
into this category.

We at St. Beowulf's are now at the climax of a fundraising campaign to
provide monies for new oak beams in the medieval chapel, and we were
wondering--since there is a woody tie-in--whether Mr. Ritchie would (pun not
intended) consider donating to our cause maybe an axe, or a chainsaw, some
knee pads, or even a rag he used to wipe sweat from his brow.  The only
requirement is that it be something intimately connected to the making of
Ritchie's magnificent work.  If the object was mainly used by an assistant,
but neverthless was touched once or twice by the master, this will do; a
small white lie in a good cause.

Please do not send underpants.

We shall be eternally grateful for your help.

Yours sincerely,

The Pretty Reverend Shelby Coote
St. Beowulf's Priory
12 Reformation Road