[lit-ideas] Re: Looking for a big screen TV

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 03:32:26 -0700 (PDT)

To state the obvious, I would imagine that if I were
buying a TV I would go a store and compare the quality
of picture. There are notable difference between
models particullary when you get to bigger screens (in
which picture quality is generally good.)

That said, my little brother is something of geek with
a HiFi/Video bend, and his opinion is that the coolest
thing available is a good projector. They used to be
expensive and the lamps didn't last, but nowadays they
start at about $1000US and the lamps last about 3000
hours (which assuming you use it three hours a day is
about three years.) Picture is usually much better
than in a comparable size TV.

I recall attending a seminar where a lecturer suddenly
pulled out a mini-projector to show some clips of the
film he was talking about. I've wanted one ever since.
Then again I don't really watch that much TV, so I've
never seen the need for anything fancy. Movies ought
to be watched in a theatre anyway. Very big screen
could be handy with a computer though, I hooked up
eight screens together a while back at our office lab
and not only does it look extremely cool in a Bat Cave
sort of way, it is so much more pleasant to do stuff
with that much screen space.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland