[lit-ideas] Re: Living Wills

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:23:21 +0200

On 2. Apr 2005, at 04:20, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> You know, if my pet dog were ill and I refused to give her
> any food or  water because the vet told me she was going
> to die and nothing could be done for her, I'd be arrested
> for animal abuse.

To which I responded:

You may be onto something there.  I seem to recall being
taught that the first legal cases against child abuse in the
U.S.A. (late 19th century?) were brought under 'cruelty to
animals' laws.

Robert Paul (in a posting which I have unfortunately since
lost) raised objections to the analogy between the removal
of feeding tubes from Terri Schiavo and ceasing to nourish
a terminally ill dog, to which I now (belatedly) announce my
concurrence.

Now I wonder what list members feel about the following
statement (taken from the current _Harpers Weekly_ weekly
review)?:

> A study found that executions by lethal injection carried
> out in the United States did not meet veterinary standards.

Does anyone know more about this study?

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany