[lit-ideas] Re: Press eyes perversion; Voice urges rebellion

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:47:52 EDT

<<The  readership is growing older very quickly. People under 35 won't read
newspapers>>
My husband  and I are fairly well past 35 and the last time we had a
newspaper in the house  was when I asked my folks for some of their old ones to
use to
start the fire in  our woodstove.
It ain't just  under 35.....
Julie  Krueger
not quite up  to I-Pods, but past newsprint.

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Press eyes
perversion; Voice urges  rebellion  Date: 4/21/05 2:08:25 A.M. Central Daylight
Time
 From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
> > "I just got pissed off and I walked  out," recalls Hutcheson. None of the
others followed
> >  him.
>
> Do you think any of them ever will?  What would have  happened if they had?

The GOP will blacklist him. No more interviews,  press passes, etc. for
anything that has to
do with the White House, Senate,  House, Supreme Court, the military, the
FBI, the CIA,
elections, and so  on.

His newspaper will lose readership when the newspaper can't score any  news
stories. If there
aren't readers, advertising will drop. After a few  months, the journalist
will be "let go
for entirely unrelated  issues".

The newspaper publishers, editors, and journalists know this,  and that's why
they line up
like meek little mice.

The White House  press corps knew for several years that "Gannon" was fake,
but they didn't
dare to say anything about it. It was bloggers who uncovered  him.

> Wondering if journalists are a fading bunch, good only for  reporting on
> burglaries and fires,

It's newspapers that are  fading on all critical points: readership, news,
and advertising.

- The  readership is growing older very quickly. People under 35 won't read
newspapers.

- Revenues are being sucked away very fast by online  classifieds, online job
sites, and
eBay.

- Worst of all, the content  is being served better and faster by the web.
For example, more
people  (7.6m) read blogspot.com's blogs than the NewYorkTimes.com (5.7m)
each month.  The
NYT's readership has been sliding steadily downwards for the last two  years.
Blogspot's
readership has been zooming up. Guess which one has spent  millions of
dollars in
advertising, and it still didn't help?

If you  don't have news, readers, or ads, you don't have a newspaper.

It's pretty  bad for newspapers. They are under siege from all sides, and
there's nothing
they can do. It's an obsolete  technology.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com