[lit-ideas] Re: Living Wills

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:00:24 EDT

<<Does  anyone know more about this study?>>
Only something I read on the web a  few days ago (I'll try to find it in a
bit) which indicated that the injection  of the first chemical which is
supposed
to behave as a general anaesthesia so  the person does not feel the pain of
the asphyxiation caused by the second and  third chemicals is not as effective
as was thought.....I can't recall how they  came to that conclusion.  God,
it's 6:00 in the morning, why am I even  trying to post?  I'll find the article
instead....
Julie Krueger
sleepless since 4:00 a.m. -- gotta do  something about those circadian
rhythms.

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Living Wills
Date: 4/21/05 5:55:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 2. Apr 2005, at 04:20,  JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> You know, if my pet dog were ill and I  refused to give her
> any food or  water because the vet told me she  was going
> to die and nothing could be done for her, I'd be  arrested
> for animal abuse.

To which I responded:

You may  be onto something there.  I seem to recall being
taught that the first  legal cases against child abuse in the
U.S.A. (late 19th century?) were  brought under 'cruelty to
animals' laws.

Robert Paul (in a posting  which I have unfortunately since
lost) raised objections to the analogy  between the removal
of feeding tubes from Terri Schiavo and ceasing to  nourish
a terminally ill dog, to which I now (belatedly) announce  my
concurrence.

Now I wonder what list members feel about the  following
statement (taken from the current _Harpers Weekly_  weekly
review)?:

> A study found that executions by lethal  injection carried
> out in the United States did not meet veterinary  standards.

Does anyone know more about this study?

Chris  Bruce
Kiel,  Germany