[lit-ideas] Re: classical holy grail

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:33:33 +0200

On 20. Apr 2005, at 03:08, Eric Yost wrote:

> Scientists begin to unlock the secrets of papyrus scraps ...
>
> ... in a breakthrough described as the classical equivalent of finding
> the holy grail, Oxford University scientists have employed infra-red
> technology to open up the hoard, known as the Oxyrhynchus Papyri, and
> with it the prospect that hundreds of lost Greek comedies, tragedies
> and
> epic poems will soon be revealed. ... They even believe they are
> likely to
> find lost Christian gospels, the originals of which were written
> around the
> time of the earliest books of the New Testament.

This just goes to show you - if one waits long enough ....

In March, 1999 I posted the following questions to this list's
'precursor':

It has been almost 2 decades: can anyone verify - and expand upon
- an anecdote recounted by my Greek teacher in which it was claimed
that some 'lost literature' of antiquity was found on the papyrus
filling
of a stuffed crocodile?

What is the most recent 'great find' of classical literature?  Is there
still
hope that in some jar, stuffed crocodile, or other ancient 'time
capsule'
(of whatever unlikely form), texts such as those mentioned above may
be found?

(I still haven't heard about the crocodile.)

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany