[lit-ideas] Re: Lit-Ideas: A Survey

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 15:20:10 -0500

<So, Buda side or Pest side?>

I don't know. I have never been back. WWII broke out when I was three years old. Before that, I remember being in an the Opera House where they had some silly, wonderful operatta suitable for children. The actors threw real pastries and candies to the audience. I also remember a place called Margit Island. I have been there and have great memories of that.

After invasion of Poland it was hunker down time. I only went to kindergarten. Then there were soldiers in the streets so my sister and I were not allowed out. Also I spent lots of my childhood in bomb shelters, as did millions of children in Europe. My father went back a couple of times and brought me a book. Almost everything in the book is unknown to me. Except a swimming pool, which I remember being full of dead bodies. No water of course.

I would not understand Taamu because even though Hungarian and Finnish are the only two languages known that are similar and not related to any other language, to me Finnish is quite different. But then I don't know much Hungarian either. The language where there are similarities is Turkish, due to the latter's occupation of Hungary. Even reflected in pastry, as in France.

The "I" in "I. Biro" might be "Imre", as this is a very common Hungarian name. Hungarians as a group tend to be very well educated and intellectual. Also big into engineering and other technologies. I recently read a book about Hungarian (frequently Jewish as well,) immigrants' contributions to the film and photography industry and the development of the A and H bomb. Also, the former head of Intel was a Hungarian immigrant.

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>