[lit-ideas] Re: It means nothing, absolutely nothing...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:24:34 -0700

On Oct 22, 2008, at 11:34 AM, wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

Just a few, minor remarks ---------->

Quoting David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
[snip]
Such factors may well be causally efficacious
in the production of choice within heteronomous agents but rationality is not
reducible to a narrative of such biographical factors.

[snip]
 But I grant that I may be missing the
point of David's argument here. (It may have something to do with Aristotle's woefully mistaken view that there is something like a "practical syllogism" where the conclusion is not a statement but an action. But if we grant the cogency of that, are we not led to ask whether David is suffering from weakness
of will?)
[snip]

Regarding David's substantive claim: I aver that matters of taste and romantic attraction do not admit of rational assessment. To engage in the latter within these domains is irrational. Aristotle makes a similar point. There is nothing
scalar here, as far as I can see.

Neither scales nor scalars fall from my eyes when I read this, grounded as I am in the present by the discovery that Fred Meyer now sells a thing that looks like a plumber's mate, but is made of the wrong stuff and thus fails to spring back after the first plunge-- very like a plumber's mate in the prime era of unionism, when you think about it--and in the past by thoughts on this afternoon's seminar, but totally lost in the world of heteronomous agents and irreducible rationality.

I think we shall have to return to the historic way of deciding things--trial by combat. A table tennis match whenever we meet, perhaps?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon