[lit-ideas] Re: It means nothing, absolutely nothing...

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:37:42 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 21/10/08, wokshevs@xxxxxx <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Donal's claims I find to betray a confusion between
> Kant's editorializations on
> his moral theory and that moral theory itself. Kant was not
> the most astute
> interpreter of his own moral theory. Vide *The metaphysics
> of virtue* in
> relation to the *Groundwerk* ans the second *Critique*.

This is as may be - I certainly don't feel competent to dispute it. However,
the principle of 'universalisability' would not rule out killing killers - not
if Kant thought that if he killed someone it would be right that he should pay
with his life. The best argument against the death penalty is, forgiveness and
not wanting ourselves to be executed aside, surely the possibility of mistake -
plus the empirical weakness of the argument that the death penalty actually
works as a deterrent.

> Regarding the matter of self-contradiction raised by Donal:
> morally
> impermissible maxims exhibit not a logical contradiction
> but rather a practical
> contradiction.

This reply is fair enough. It reminds me of a reply Popper sent me to a
school-boy letter of mine where I criticised the various 'paradoxes' [of
sovereignty, democracy etc.] he offers in his OSE: saying these were not truly
logical paradoxes. His reply, acknowledging that of course it is possible for a
democracy to commit suicide (by voting for a dictator - there are still some
suicidal tendencies in Germany he added), is that his paradoxes are essentially
a practical affair.

But I feel Popper's 'sovereignty paradoxes', though a practical matter, are on
stronger ground than Kant's or other's idea of moral principles having to be
universalisable - even though I admit there is an important truth contained
within this idea: see below.

>Das heisst: the maxim is not universalizable
> in that if
> everybody
> did it then nobody could do it, and an agent who willed
> such a maxim would be
> engaged in illegitimate self-exemption (and could not,
> consequently, legislate
> the maxim as a universal law.)

This is not entirely clear as an argument.The main practical weakness lies, I
think, in overlooking the importance and usefulness of 'discretionary justice'
- in the law, from sentencing to the admissbility of evidence, decisions are
not derived from "maxim as a universal law" but are effectively made as a form
of discretionary justice within a framework that imposes some limits on the
range of the decision. It is questionable whether doing away with this
flexibility, and its concommitant 'inconsistency', would increase rather than
decrease 'justice'.

> Donal is correct, however, in his other claim that acting
> differently in
> relevantly similar situations does not constitute a logical
> mistake. It is,
> however, a moral mistake. If anyone can provide
> counter-examples to this claim,
> I'm sure both of us would be eager to hear them.

When talking of consistency here, we rely on a notion of "relevantly similar
situations" - but there are no set criteria for this. What might appear to be
"relevantly similar situations" to one may appear quite distinguishable to
another. So even if a principle of 'universalisability' is accepted, its
practical application is bound to be highly problematic. It is perhaps for this
reason that Popper uses that the formulation - an open-ended one - that the
correct moral responses depends on the _specific moral problem_. It might be
added that even on such a formulation we immediately run into the (practical)
problem of how _specific_ we make our characterisation of moral problems - and
the answer to this may well vary with the moral problem under consideration
[the specifics of why someone does not have a valid driving licence may be of
comparatively little interest compared with the specifics of why someone
committed a murder].

> Donal's claim that consistency in action and judgement
> (i.e., maxim formation)
> "may be over-valued" is a very odd claim.

It is not so "very odd". Since consistency depends on treating
'like-cases-alike', and since deciding when they are sufficiently alike is
problematic and involves a value-judgment, and since such value-judgments are
fallible and may ride roughshod over significant _specific_ differences between
cases that are otherwise alike, it might be suspected that the search for
consistency is one that can be over-valued and indeed one that distort a proper
_individuated_ moral response.

It seems to me this whole field is one of dilemmas and conflicting values.
'Universalisability' contains an important idea, though perhaps not much more
than a version of 'The Golden Rule', but it is not the be-all and end-all - and
over-valued it can distort: for the core of morality (if we can speak of a
'core') must surely lie - not in custom, human nature, fixed moral systems etc.
- but in human conscience. This, btw, is linked to why we must treat others as
ends-in-themselves: not because we would wish to be so treated, but because
they are creatures with at least the potential to act with conscience (and in
this they are moral beings even if they get it wrong in their acts and
judgments i.e. I am suggesting that a person who makes a flawed moral decision
in good conscience may nevertheless have acted morally, from at least the
first-person POV, even if their decision is to be morally opposed and condemned
from an 'outside' perspective).

Donal
Moral Fallibilist
Utopia