[lit-ideas] Re: It means nothing, absolutely nothing...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:53:32 -0400

I took Mencken to mean that laws are sometimes written in response to outrageous acts that we all (generally) disapporve of. Laws against hate mongering seem to fall into this category. But because the laws are broadly interpretable, they are broadly dangerous. The ACLU undoubtedly has scrapbooks full of such things.

Ursula
NipU

wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:
Oppressive laws are not "aimed" at the vicious. Or, if they are, then that is
what makes it an unjust law - which is to say, no law at all. A just law is a
universalizable law. Hence, to defend a universalizable law is neither to
defend the vicious nor any other particular cultural or religious group of
citizens. It is simply to defend the personhood/rational autonomy of
individuals as ends-in-themselves. The reasoning below seems awfully confused,
unless I'm missing something here.

Walter O.
MUN

P.S. Mr. Powell has been patient for a very long time. Kudos to his integrity
and table-tennis sense of timing. He's sleeping much better now, I'm sure.

Quoting Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Yes, when you stand on principle, you don't always have a nice clean place to stand.
Ursula

David Wright wrote:
"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of
one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive
laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it
is to be stopped at all."
    -- H. L. Mencken

as always and ever,
d.