[lit-ideas] Re: It means nothing, absolutely nothing...

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:21:05 -0500

>>And yet you said:

>>"Are not rallies the beginnings of oppression?  They are the coming together
>>of like minds, and that's the beginning of everything political."<<

Ah, I see.  My fault.  What I was intending to say was that though I strongly
support freedom of speech -- even hate speech, which most (?) European
countries suppress -- at the same time I recognize that allowing freedom of
speech allows the spread of racist ideas, fascist ideas, etc.  In other words,
freedom allows oppressors to freely organize.  I don't ever want to give up
free speech, but I recognize the danger inherent in it.  But overall my post
was addressing the question as David Ritchie sees it.

Mike Geary