[lit-ideas] Re: Iran, spying, communists...

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:58:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thursday, June 3, 2004, 5:23:09 AM, Omar Kusturica
> wrote:

> I am now reading Thinks to find out why Lodge has
> someone say "fuzz"
> for police; but it's a real plod; it's really inept
> of Lodge to give
> Messenger those "what's happening in UK
> universities" speeches. (I
> suppose if you don't know what's happening, it might
> be more
> interesting) But at least he did it.  (Lodge is the
> only one of the
> campus novelists, to my knowledge, who's taken part
> in a national
> union demo + lobby of parliament re cuts in
> government funding of
> universities.  But I suppose the others could have
> been there.

Just a couple of words more - I did not pay attention
to these comments yesterday. You seem to be expecting
from Lodge both too much and too little. Lodge may
have had minor misconceptions in the past and made
minor mistakes. But I wonder if you understood all of
the allusions in the speeches given to the Messenger
and others. I am also not sure that you appreciate the
significance of the issue from his point of view. I
suspect that Lodge believes that the universities have
protected themselves precisely by the
oh-everyone-knows-that-already sort of jaded
their tactics. Cultural criticisms have turned to the
other targets, while the central role of the
universities in the past and in the present has been
largely overlooked or else ignored. I doubt that Lodge
himself was ever under too many illusions - the
initiative to which you are refering was not a big
deal anyway - but I should hardly think that he was
the only one to have been taken in by this tactics for
a while. Of course, I do not deny that he may also
derive some personal gratification from the speeches.

O.K.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/