[lit-ideas] Re: Iran, spying, communists...

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:46:53 +0100

Thursday, June 3, 2004, 5:23:09 AM, Omar Kusturica wrote:

OK> Thanks. I liked "big wig." Could it be used as form of
OK> address ? "Bossy Boots" also is not bad.

I did hint some of it was out of date. But I hadn't noticed "big wig";
it's actually bigwig (yes,
it's nice).  "Bossy boots" isn't exactly something you'll hear on
every street corner, either.  Probably the idea behind the list is
simply that visitors will know what these terms mean if they come
across them.

I am now reading Thinks to find out why Lodge has someone say "fuzz"
for police; but it's a real plod; it's really inept of Lodge to give
Messenger those "what's happening in UK universities" speeches. (I
suppose if you don't know what's happening, it might be more
interesting) But at least he did it.  (Lodge is the only one of the
campus novelists, to my knowledge, who's taken part in a national
union demo + lobby of parliament re cuts in government funding of
universities.  But I suppose the others could have been there.

--
Best regards,
 Judy                            mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx