[lit-ideas] Re: Iran, spying, communists...

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:52:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm a little surprised you know UK universities so
> well, Omar.

Not really. I used to know some about Lodge - was
thinking about doing my thesis on him and a couple of
others - but that was years ago.

> OK> their tactics. Cultural criticisms have turned
> to the
> OK> other targets, while the central role of the
> OK> universities in the past and in the present has
> been
> OK> largely overlooked or else ignored
>
> I thought this was what you meant. I don't think
> it's what Lodge has
> in mind.

*I honestly thought the two were being conflated, with
perhaps some justification. If that was not the
authorial intention, I apologize for the mess. It's
sometimes hard to know when second and third meanings
are intended and when not.

(snipped)
> Your more cosmic view -- which I suggest you give --
> may or may not be
> held by Lodge.

*Right. I might give my cosmic view on some occasion,
but right now I am stricken by horrible back pain. It
runs in the family, and my accident this winter
probably didn't help it. So I'm afraid it will have to
wait.

O.K.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/