[lit-ideas] Re: Hezbollah is here in U.S.

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:34:41 -0400

Lawrence, Iraq is in civil war.  We have 56,000 troops in Baghdad and they
can't keep the peace.  The whole strategy is completely wrong.  We're
approaching it as if the problem were an insurgency, when the problem is a
civil war.  An insurgency strategy is exactly the way to fan the flames of a
civil war (an insurgency is united; a civil war is factionalized).  Something
like 19,000 Iraqis have been killed in sectarian violence in the last six
months, and adding insult to injury, Iraq had nothing whatsoever to do with al
Qaeda before the invasion.  Invading Iraq has been a boon for Iran and it's
also loosened the restraints against anything goes over there, meaning war as a
first resort, which of course you favor.  By diplomacy, I meant that the U.S.
has stopped with the saber rattling with Iran, the reason most likely being
that the U.S. might be using Israel to attack Iran for them.  Hezbollah may be
just an excuse.  Nobody goes to war over two captured soldiers.  Bush has
  never spoken to Iran.  Whether Iran will allow itself to be drawn into a
regional conflict is unknown.  Most likely they're too crafty for that.   How
it shakes out for Israel has yet to be seen.

Lawrence, in the beginning I learned from your writings about the Wahhabis, but
it's increasingly clear that there's a skewed quality to your thinking that
makes your writings almost inapplicable to understanding what's going on.  The
world is amazingly complex, yet you see only one thing, the Wahhabis.  It's the
same type of skewing that goes into claiming American credit for the
dissolution of the Soviet Union.  I know for a fact that the SU caved from
within, yet you give Reagan and the neocons the credit.  That's downright
misinformed, it's hubris, yet you stand by it as fact because your fellow
Conservatives believe it.

The U.S. broadened the ME mess exponentially.  The Wahhabis didn't do that.  We
invaded a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 and turned it into a
cauldron of breathtaking instability, then we stay the course as if more of the
same will make it better as it slides deeper and deeper into hell.  We
abandoned Afghanistan and now they're heading to the Iraq model.  We proved
ourselves militarily incompetent.  We put big business ahead of securing our
borders resulting in literally anybody being able walk into the country and
disappear.  What are the chances they haven't taken advantage of our largesse
in favor of both big business and terrorists?  There's almost a philosophical
issue there, i.e., both big business and terrorists are unconcerned with
creating victims.  Yet you see none of this.   Everyone has their own way of
dealing with reality.  I guess that's the way you deal with it, take an
orchestra and reduce it to one instrument, even one note.  I think I'm going to
 stop with the reality and go read some nutrition.

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> http://www.townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2006/07/19/hezbollah_is_here
>

> This would only be a surprise to those who think that Hezbollah is a native
> Lebanese guerilla force solely concerned with attacking Israel.

Oh, great. Another "terriers are hiding under our beds" hysteria.

War, war, war. That's really the only thing you want. You don't really care
why. Just war.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com