[lit-ideas] Re: Hezbollah is here in U.S.

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:44:56 -0700

Irene,

Prior to our invasion of Iraq, I discussed Sandra Mackey's book.  She argued
that Saddam kept the Shiites and Kurds dominated with domestic terror and
that if we conquered it that would be our greatest challenge -- to create
something that would work as well.  She argued that the Shiites might take
the opportunity to get even for the years of Saddam's tyrannical abuse.
Iraq was the shame of the Middle east and also, according to Paul Berman,
the shame of Liberals who didn't support his removal.  Yes, the Sunni's are
the resurgents.  Yes, they did much better when Saddam was running things.
Yes, they would like to be in control again.  Yes, some of them feel they
have nothing to lose by fighting on.  Yes, many of them are happy Al Quaeda
is helping them. All this is well known.  Nevertheless, Saddam was a major
force in Militant Islam.  For many reasons he was a prominent player.
Removing Saddam was a blow to Militant Islam.

I notice that right after a note in which I indicated that I favored
diplomacy you say "war as a first resort, which of course you favor."  Do
you wonder that I say you don't pay any attention to what I write?  (Or is
this your split personality at work?)

The U.S. using Israel to attack Iran?  This is the sort of thing an extreme
Leftist or an Islamist would say.  In their conspiracy theories they spend
half their time saying that the U.S. runs Israel and the other half that
Israel runs the U.S.  It is all nonsense Irene.  If you want to say Iran is
running Hezbollah you would be onto something.  The U.S. can influence
Israel up to a point, but they can't tell Israel not to defend itself.

Irene.  Good grief.  Hezbollah was lobbing rockets into Israel.  They
invaded Lebanon to stop Hezbollah's attack.  There was a treaty that
specified that Lebanon would not allow a terrorist organization on its soil
to do just what Hezbollah is doing.  Through Syria's influence Lebanon
backed out of the treaty that Lebanon and Israel signed.  There wasn't
anything Israel really wanted to do about it until Hezbollah attacked them.
Israel has a policy of trying to get their soldiers back at all cost, but
the primary reason for the invasion is that Hezbollah has been bombing the
heck out of Israel with rockets.

Iran is already in the regional conflict.  Iran created Hezbollah. They
armed it and financed it.

You talk about my understanding being skewed.  What is the superior
standpoint from which you make that judgment?  I have heard very little
about your reading.  How is it that you know the truth while I struggle
along in my skewed ignorance trying to read one expert after another only to
be deceived time and time and end up skewered by Irene?

Back to reality: get your focus off of 9/11.  We are at war not with the
perpetrator's of 9/11 but with MILITANT ISLAM!  You denigrate the ideology
that began with the Wahhabis, but when you do that you cut yourself off from
understanding.  You won't understand MILITANT ISLAM until you read its
history, especially its ideologists.  Reading these ideologists isn't going
to skew you.  It is going to tell you what every Militant Islamist knows and
you don't.  It will tell you why they are dead set on conquering first
Arabia (Saddam was an ardent Pan-Arabist) and then moving outward conquering
all the land that they lost to the infidel and then outward still until the
entire world bows its knee to Allah

You think we are militarily incompetent?  You live in a world of Leftist
denial.  We have the most competent military that has ever existed and this
can be demonstrated by any objective standard.  Our wars in the Middle East
were models of text-book efficiency.  What you want to criticize is our
mistaken gentleness with the survivors.  Although you would almost certainly
be criticizing something else if we were ruthless with them.  The
administration probably thought it was the politically correct thing to be
gentle and give them a chance to join the Iraqi democracy.  That gentleness
hasn't born fruit.

Also, you overrate stability.  A stable Iraq and Afghanistan bent upon doing
us or our allies harm is far worse (from our strategic standpoint) than an
unstable Iraq and Afghanistan incapable of doing us harm.

As to our borders, I hear terrorists are entering our country over our
borders.  And in previous notes I said let's close them off!  You commented
about that Irene.  You accused me of changing my mind, but now you say "yet
you see none of this."  Was it one of your split personalities who commented
upon my earlier note, remarking that I had changed my mind and a different
personality which now says I am opposed to preventing terrorists entering?

You say you are going to stop "with reality."  Irene, I am quite convinced
that you are stopping well short of that.

Lawrence

  _____