[lit-ideas] Re: Guess where the USA ranks in terms of health care

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:59:45 -0500

Eric (et al) --

This is a hugely complex issue, and although I have some other observations
do want to just give a personal perspective re. Medicare, for what it's not
worth.

My husband has his own business, providing out-patient care, mostly
respiratory care.  His patients are nearly all elderly and terminal.  Those
who are not elderly are largely disabled, thus qualifying for Medicare as
well.  A few have private insurance as their primary.  People I know pay
upwards of  $600 a month for Medicare plus their co-insurance.  But back to
our clients.  While the costs of the equipment we provide and service w/ all
the attendant expenses in delivery, service, personal care, etc., have risen
steadily right along with the cost of everything else, Medicare has not only
not raised the allowable it will pay providers in over a decade, but their
fee schedule has actually lowered the allowable.  It is becoming
increasingly difficult bordering on impossible to provide care for patients
and stay in business, stay solvent.  Most of our patients cannot afford
their deductible.  My husband "eats" it.  If a patient doesn't have a
secondary who will take up the co-insurance, my husband doesn't bill the
patient.  When a patient has difficulty qualifying for oxygen therapy, e.g.,
according to Medicare's regulations (if your SA02 is 89% Medicare will not
pay for the therapy, if it is 88% they will, but only for 6 months, etc.),
we provide equipment gratis until (if ever) Medicare will pay, because Jim
cannot bring himself to tell people to take every other breath or stop
breathing.

It is going to be increasingly difficult for people who have Medicare to get
medical care.  Medicare will soon become useless because providers simply
cannot exist w/ its remuneration.

Julie Krueger