[lit-ideas] Re: Guess where the USA ranks in terms of health care

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:52:52 +0100

Universal Health Care (such as exists in Brazil) yields this situation: Doctors are paid the same amount whether they see 5 or 25 patients a day. Patients who present to doctors with symptoms requiring a certain treatment will be told, "Yes we can do this, if you wait four months. On the other hand, if you pay me ___, I'll be able to do the procedure next week."

That precise situation couldn't happen here even though in NHS practice, doctors are not paid by the number of patients they see. And in general practice (primary care), it does not. In secondary care, yes, a private patient will be seen more quickly and also treated more quickly (for elective treatment, that is). Notmally a patient would say to their GP that they don't want to wait/would like to be seen privately. The GP has no financial incentive to refer privately, though.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>