[lit-ideas] Re: Guess where the USA ranks in terms of health care

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:42:48 -0400

One article Ursula cited on the Canadian health system notes a John Hopkins professor's remarks.

"Anderson says Canada is way ahead of the U.S. in controlling the cost of health care."

See? That was my whole point in this thread. It's about COST management. Not privatization or nonprivatization per se, but about COST.

The many issues that contribute to cost are not comprehensively addressed by universal health care solus. Without cost management, universal health care might even be apocalyptic.

On the other hand, if you think back to the anthrax attacks of 2001, and recall the preposterous CDC "plan" to deal with a large anthrax attack by having Americans go to their PCP next day and get Cipro, you can imagine another kind of medical apocalypse. Five hundred thousand (plus) angry New Yorkers trying to get to their PCPs next day to get a script, take it to their pharmacies to get filled ... gives a new meaning to the word "vulnerable."

Had that al-Zawahiri sponsored, crop-duster anthrax mass attack happened, we would have had horrific casualties. We would also now have another type of health care system.