[lit-ideas] Re: Guess - Answer

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:52:33 +0200

On 3-Aug-09, at 1:47 AM, Andy wrote:

Yes, it was Karl Marx.  I didn't know he wrote poetry.

The fragment Oulanem (and much else) is found in a collection of poetry Karl Marx dedicated to his father on the latter's birthday - April 12th) 1837. On that date Karl Marx (born May 5, 1818) was not yet 19 years old (and who knows how much earlier the contents were written; he surely can't have composed them ALL the night before!).

This was not Marx's first collection of poetry. It is proceeded by, among others, 2 volumes of love poems to Jenny von Westphalen. Many of Marx's early literary efforts are to found in the first volume of his collected works, at:

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1837-pre/index.htm

CAVEAT LECTOR:  The above site is part of the Marxist Internet Archives.

(For those of you who may sneer at such a 'caveat', I have an amusing yet not untroubling anecdote.)

Chris Bruce,
who will openly admit to sympathy to certain 'Marxian' ideas,
and who has been known for the sake of argument
to publicly argue in favour of same,
but is not now, and never has been a Marxist, in
Kiel, Germany