[lit-ideas] Re: Growing Old the Hard Way: China, Russia, India

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:25:31 -0400

I wonder how much of family taking care of the elderly is mythology.  I saw
Tokyo Story on Saturday, 1953 movie, Japanese.  It was one of those nothing
happens movies but it was quite the study in Japanese family life.  I was
surprised.  In 1953, and I suspect it's worse now, there was a big disconnect
between generations and not much bonding within families.  The parents in the
movie lived long distances away from their grown children, and did not know
their grandchildren.  The parents go to visit their grown children, and they
are treated politely, lots of bowing, but clearly they are a burden.  The
grandfather had been a heavy drinker when his children were growing up,
regularly coming home drunk, so he was disconnected from them.  There was no
family to take care of this older Japanese couple.  Generally there was an
isolation in the movie among and between family members.  And this is from the
country that does ancestor worship.  Ancestors are easy to worship; real peopl
 e are hard to deal with.  I suspect China is not much different, lots of myth,
but the reality is quite different (maybe Omar can tell us what happens to the
elderly there).

The United States has nothing to be proud of regarding its treatment of the
elderly, for that matter of children or anyone else except corporations.  Dubya
wanted to get rid of Social Security.  Companies are reneging on pensions,
those that even supply any.   Americans will soon have working retirements too.
 But I suppose by Lawrence's standards, this is a good thing.