[lit-ideas] Re: Growing Old the Hard Way: China, Russia, India

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:29:42 +0100

Traditionally, elder care is the responsibility of the oldest son and
his spouse (i.e, I'd say, the spouse!).   The one-child family policy and
the preference for boys means, then, a shortage of daughters-in-law to do
the care work.  Also apparently daughters tend to provide more and
higher quality care than sons (I don't see how this fits with the preceding
statements but Chinese researchers find it).

> if families were raising more sons than daughters, the problem of caring
> for the aged is perhaps even more critical.

they are and it is