[lit-ideas] Re: Growing Old the Hard Way: China, Russia, India

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:41:08 +0100

LH>>I fail to see what American rest homes have to do with any of this.

ck:> Context. This article disparages care for the elderly in certain
>countries. Presumably, then, care for older people is okay, or at
> least better than terrible, elsewhere. But where? Not Europe, you say.
>So Julie (and Judith, and I, too), would wonder what corner of
>America you're looking at, because from where we sit, American rest
>homes are awful except for a small minority.

Yes -- thank you, Carol (and Julie).  Of course a lot of nursing (and
residential)
homes here are less than ideal and some, less than adequate; local councils
aren't bad at putting them out of business -- and residents' being able,
normally, to
 keep their NHS GPs helps --  but they do miss some.  And some
US nursing homes are better than ours.  But it was the cost of nursing homes
there I had in mind mainly, anyway.

Note to Lawrence.  There are demographic reasons, in addition to reasons of
wealth,
why the US should cope with an ageing population better than some other
countries.

Judy Evans, Cardiff