[lit-ideas] Re: Growing Old the Hard Way: China, Russia, India

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:43:54 -0400

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"In the past the sons took care of the aged, but increasing numbers of
Chinese will not have sons available to do so."

Yesterday, a Chinese friend of ours was telling me that I am fortunate,
having three daughters, because when I am old I will have many people to
look after me.  She said that one can't count on sons to do this.  A
number of our Chinese friends have told me this.  I wonder if Lawrence's
claim about sons is accurate.  It seems to me that it would matter since
if families were raising more sons than daughters, the problem of caring
for the aged is perhaps even more critical.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON