[lit-ideas] Re: Griceiana

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 21:54:38 +0000 (UTC)

>Believe it or not I actually still read all the posts.>
You're a sick man, a very sick man. Some of those posts aren't even meant to be
read*. Perhaps one day medical science will be able to do something to relieve
you of your compulsion, but in the meantime try to lie face down for at least
18 hours each day. I find I can do usually do this for 6 or 7 hours if I reread
a whole thread between just JLS and Palma, with some of their exchanges now
recognised by law as grounds for diminished responsibility and provocation for
a range of acts of criminal violence.

Dnl*Who don't even read some of the ones I write.

     On Saturday, 14 March 2015, 20:04, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Believe it or not I actually still read all the posts.On Mar 14, 2015 4:00 PM,
"Omar Kusturica" <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, at least you are there, I was beginning to wonder if JL and I were alone
here.
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And they are STILL talking about him 15? Years later! I think Grice has
overtaken Willy Wagglesword as the most written about author in history...and
that's just counting jls' posts!Also contributing nothingOn Mar 14, 2015 3:35
PM, "Mike Geary" <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My favorite play on Grice's name was Paul Stone's : "Jesus Grice!"  I could
hear him he crying out.   Ah, yes, long live his glory and long may his story
be told.
My philosophy is quite simple:  I don't know.  And I probably never will know,
but that's OK, I'm having fun anyway.
So, even though this message would not qualify for publication here were there
Relevance-Police monitoring this List, the case of the world is that there are
no Relevance-Police monitoring this list and so this message will be posted to
this List even though it makes no contribution to philosophy or literature.
Indeed, were this List the least bit self-respecting, I would have been banned
from posting anything here long ago.  But because it is not so monitored and I
have not been so banned, then I have been able not only to post, but to get a
kick out of all the wild wording this List lets loose like doves from a cage at
some celebration.  I salute all you indefatigable word weavers out there.
You've dressed my ignorance in some mighty fine garments, I must say.  And I
did say. And you make me jealous that I'm not so refined.  My threads are all
a-tangle.  I snip them here.
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 5:59 AM, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Grice" is a Scots and northern English dialect  word originally meaning
"young pig" (compare the Scandinavian gris, meaning  "pig").

As it happens, that is just ONE possible explanation. The alternative one,
which I hold, and Grice held, is that it's Anglo-Norman, and related to the
 colour 'grey', or 'gray', if you must. Cfr. Italian 'griso', 'grisatoio',
'grisetta'.

*Well, I can see how Grice would have prefered that explanation. It is not very
pleasant to be associated with a type of swine, particularly one that is:
"voracious in the extreme, and excessively difficult to confine in pasture or
to fatten... also destructive and mischievous." And if the talk about causality
thoeries and implicatures went too far, neighbours could start "grumbling about
the behaviour of ... grice" and the courts might be forced to move "confiscate
particularly troublesome pigs, and to impose "hefty fines" on their owners.[5]"
"
O.K.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Redacted sender Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx for DMARC
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a message dated 3/14/2015 3:10:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
"Grice" is a Scots and northern English dialect  word originally meaning
"young pig" (compare the Scandinavian gris, meaning  "pig").

As it happens, that is just ONE possible explanation. The alternative one,
which I hold, and Grice held, is that it's Anglo-Norman, and related to the
 colour 'grey', or 'gray', if you must. Cfr. Italian 'griso', 'grisatoio',
'grisetta'.

Now, puns abound. My favourite is Kemmerling's. He speaks of 'gricing' as a
 special type of communication -- that disallows sneaky elements. The
opposite is  'disgricing'. Dennett has

grice

as a noun meaning

Conceptual intricacy.

"His examination of Hume is distinguished by erudition and grice."

Hence, griceful, adj. and griceless, adj.

 "An obvious and griceless polemic."

pl. grouse: A multiplicity of grice, fragmenting into great details, often

Grice should not be confused with Grice: both are philosophers but  Grice*
taught at Oxford while Grice** taught at UEA/Norwich.

If you are doing a library (say) search you have to be careful: essays with
 titles like "Grice's contractual approach to morality" may refer to the
UEA/Norwich Grice -- even if H. P. Grice held a quasi-contractual approach to
 the conversational maxims, for example.

* Herbert Paul; ** Geoffrey Russell.

Cheers,

Speranza