[lit-ideas] Re: Glory [Greek stature]

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:18:39 -0800

David Ritchie wrote:

I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to put my hands on the right information, but I can at least make things more complicated for you. There is no "Greek weaponry" or "Greek armor." These things changed over time and from place to place.

Yes. Some of the changes though can be (roughly) assigned a date, e.g., the introduction of the phalanx, the hoplon shield (whence 'hoplite') and so on.

The other issue is whether any weapon or armor put before you is representative.

If we only knew the dimensions of the user or wearer, the problem would be dissolved. I'll bet though that the phalanx tactic assumed a body of men of (again roughly) the same stature.

re hoplites

'A citizen-soldier of the cities of ancient Greece. Each man had to provide his own formidable armour (Greek, hopla) – 2.7-m (9-feet) spear, short sword, large round shield, breastplate, and greaves (shin-pads). They fought in the close-packed phalanx formation, and were extremely effective when operating in the plains of Greece. However, over rough terrain they were vulnerable to fast-moving light infantry. The professional hoplites of Sparta were pre-eminent in classical times until their defeat by the Thebans in 371 BC.'

[Oxford reference online]

I found this site of interest

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/shefton-museum/greeks/armour.html

Well *someone [knows]*. There have surely been enough bones excavated for us to be able to answer the question. If I had a subscription to Archeology Today, we'd probably know the answer.

Possibly. But I've put as many of the search terms as I can think of into JSTOR, which sorts through over twenty archaeological journals and as many anthropological ones and found no joy. I did turn up a note on Greek Dwarfs, in the American Journal of Archaeology, 1984.

I think our next move is to organize a lit-ideas dig for next autumn.

Robert Paul

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon