[lit-ideas] Re: Glory [Greek stature]

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:22:30 -0800

On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:33 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

What about height of doorways? Body armor? Sandals? There must be Greek items that indicate the size of the wearers.

Yes, one would have thought that there would be plenty of information about such things, but I can't find it online. Google shouldn't care whether it gives me results from archaeology rather than art history, e.g. As far as I know the Greeks did not use full body armor à la Sir Galahad and that bunch. The suits of armor preserved in British and European museums are extremely small.

I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to put my hands on the right information, but I can at least make things more complicated for you. There is no "Greek weaponry" or "Greek armor." These things changed over time and from place to place. The other issue is whether any weapon or armor put before you is representative. The reason some medieval armor looks small is that it *was* small-- designed for youths and therefore not worn much in battle. I thought I might be able to find dimensions in an auction catalog, but haven't found more than an exact measurement of a dent--which doesn't help us.

I can say that the last Greek helmet I saw personally, in a show at the Portland Art Museum, suggested a man about five foot tall. But who knows whether he was enrolled in the Greek equivalent of the "bantams"?

Well *someone does*. There have surely been enough bones excavated for us to be able to answer the question. If I had a subscription to Archeology Today, we'd probably know the answer.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon