[lit-ideas] Re: Glory [Greek stature]

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:58:39 -0800

e.g. As far as I know the Greeks did not use full body armor à la Sir Galahad and that bunch.

I'm not even certain the Greeks wore breastplates. The recent documentary ("300") indicates they shaved and oiled their bodies and wore battle thongs. Maybe those were armored?

The suits of armor preserved in British and European museums are extremely small.

Munich has a very good collection of medieval suits of armor. When you look at them, you see a knight of the 13th century was about the size of a 11-year old California kid. When you read that the victors ate four boars and two dozen geese for dinner, well, yes: boar were the size of rabbits and geese were like quails.

I'm sure the info about Greecians is somewhere. Archaeologists and anthopologists record skeleton sizes for all finds.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com