[lit-ideas] Re: Geary on Instrumental Technological Rationality

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 06:15:17 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 22/9/09, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We thing
> > the world every bit as much if not more than we think
> it or dream it. Life is a hoot."

Heideigger had a little-known planned volume "Being And Hootiness", but felt it
sat ill with Nazi earnestness.

> Human culture is also radically contingent

Ah. Not merely contingent but "radically" so. Where human life obeys
'scientific' laws it is surely not even contingent; and what is the difference
between ordinary and 'radical' contingency?

>and deeply fearful and fiercely selfish

Surely this needs to be qualified: _some_ human life has these unfortunate
characteristics, but not even most (trouble is we all suffer when that _some_
gets power over the rest of us).

>and that makes life on earth
> increasingly tenuous.

Human life on earth is not increasingly tenuous (not with over-population
rising as it is), and life on earth in general even less so. Perhaps this makes
your POV increasingly tenuous.

Duckg RP's challenging post for the mo