[lit-ideas] Re: Geary on Instrumental Technological Rationality

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:22:45 -0500

Hi, JL, good to see you're still operating. I used to date a woman named Lucia, who was named after the Opera, but she couldn't sing worth a damn. She was good on the piano though. Even made he livelihood teaching piano. She was much more Mozart than Beethoven, while I've always been more "dum dum dum dum" -- but, following after Beethoven, Lucia's mostly deaf now, still teaches piano though. I guess she just watches the kids' fingering.

Funny thing is that you of all people would object to thingism when all your music is thinged to you. There's almost nothing we experience in our lives that's not through the agency of thingery -- except when we have transcendental thoughts, of course -- Walter must be proud! Of course once the sound waves hit your ear drums and make it to your brain, well then, it's no thingamaging then, that's purely you youing patterns of sound into you-meaningfulness. That's were the magic of being a human being begins. Thinging -- technology -- means that you don't have to be a European aristocrat to hear the most beautiful music that we humans have been able to produce to date (there's more to come). Thinking is thinging when you turn your mind over to knowing a thing inside out. Doctors thing us. I thing certain machines. Doctors make a lot more money. : )

Mike Geary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>