[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Read and pass...Fwd. 'Stay the Course!' is not enough

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:22:45 -0800

on 1/7/05 6:54 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx at JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:
 They also tend to avoid
> critical thinking because, you see,  intellectual inquiry is seen as doubting,
> lacking faith.  Have faith in God  and His spokesmen, His chosen Leaders....if
> something looks wrong, you just  don't understand God's ways and need to have
> faith that He and His Leaders are  Right.  Then, if you are really troubled,
> you twist your ideas to fit God's  Leaders Actions Are Right.  See?  Bush is
> anti-abortion, anti-gay  marriage, and holds prayer meetings in the White
> House.
> Ergo he is on  God's side.  If he is on God's side, God is working through
> him to work His  will.  God's will is incomprehensible to us.  We must have
> faith.  See how it works?

Today, while humbly laying tile, I *heard* how it works.  National Public
Radio's "Science Friday" was considering how to prevent large asteroids from
hitting the earth and causing giant waves, climate changes, the extinction
of...etc.  The fellow from NASA said that to alter the course of a large
asteroid was within the range of possibility.  Then someone called in and
said something approximately as follows, "God doesn't want us to do this.
In the first Gulf War anti-missile missiles couldn't hit Scuds, so it's all
a waste of money.  If God wants the world to end, it will end.  We shouldn't
spend a dime."

People wanting relief from this kind of nonsense might enjoy the article in
the current "New Yorker" about Louisa May Alcott's father.  Reading it, I
was reminded of a guilty secret, which I now confess.  When people asked me,
as a boy, what books I had read and enjoyed, I never mentioned one that had
impressed me greatly, "Little Women."  Now I can't remember a thing about
that book, but a brand new hardback copy was one of my early treasures.  Who
on earth gave it to me?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon