[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Read and pass...Fwd. 'Stay the Course!' is not enough

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:43:29 EST

Funny.  I liked Little Men and Jo's Boys better.  Hmmm...

On a serious note, I look back at my love affair with Alcott's books --
Under the Lilac, Eight Cousins, all the rest ... and am astonished re-reading
them at the incredible moralization, the  supremely conservative ideals,  the
strictures, the, yes, fundamentalism I think,  and I remember that in  my
idealistic childhood I revered and idolized these characters.  I try to
introduce
these books to my children but even in my head I realize how  absolutely
ridiculous the characters, the acts, the speech would be.  Not  foreign like
Shakespearean language, but not only incomprehensible but totally  absurd.
Monty
Python absurd.  In this day, the relationship with  the Uncle that the main
character has in Eight Cousins would be, at minimum,  suspect.   And I can't
figure
out when Louisa May Alcott became  quaint.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: FW: Read and
pass...Fwd. 'Stay the Course!'   is not enough  Date: 1/7/05 10:29:22 P.M.
Central
Standard Time  From: _ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

on 1/7/05 6:54 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx at  JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:
They also tend to avoid
> critical  thinking because, you see,  intellectual inquiry is seen as
doubting,
> lacking faith.  Have faith in God  and His  spokesmen, His chosen
Leaders....if
> something looks wrong, you  just  don't understand God's ways and need to
have
> faith that He  and His Leaders are  Right.  Then, if you are really
troubled,
>  you twist your ideas to fit God's  Leaders Actions Are Right.   See?  Bush
is
> anti-abortion, anti-gay  marriage, and holds  prayer meetings in the White
> House.
> Ergo he is on  God's  side.  If he is on God's side, God is working through
> him to work  His  will.  God's will is incomprehensible to us.  We must
have
> faith.  See how it works?

Today, while humbly  laying tile, I *heard* how it works.  National Public
Radio's "Science  Friday" was considering how to prevent large asteroids from
hitting the earth  and causing giant waves, climate changes, the extinction
of...etc.  The  fellow from NASA said that to alter the course of a large
asteroid was within  the range of possibility.  Then someone called in and
said something  approximately as follows, "God doesn't want us to do this.
In the first Gulf  War anti-missile missiles couldn't hit Scuds, so it's all
a waste of  money.  If God wants the world to end, it will end.  We  shouldn't
spend a dime."

People wanting relief from this kind of  nonsense might enjoy the article in
the current "New Yorker" about Louisa May  Alcott's father.  Reading it, I
was reminded of a guilty secret, which I  now confess.  When people asked me,
as a boy, what books I had read and  enjoyed, I never mentioned one that had
impressed me greatly, "Little  Women."  Now I can't remember a thing about
that book, but a brand new  hardback copy was one of my early treasures.  Who
on earth gave it to  me?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon