[lit-ideas] Re: Dutch support killer of van Gogh

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:04:27 -0800

Eric,

For the past several days I have been trying to think the unthinkable, i.e.,
Iran with Nuclear weapons, and the only thing that could make it thinkable
(in my mind) was to either get past the Mullahs (having them ousted which is
easier said than done) to the pro-American younger generation, or reach some
sort of agreement like North and company did with Rafsanjani.  The latter is
out of office but he is still very powerful.  He may be the richest man in
Iran - from pistachio farming.  But I couldn't envision the means.

I think the Nixon in China scenario brilliant.  He broached that on
Scarborough Country and got stunned silence from the rest of the panel.
Scarborough pushed everyone for a reaction and they all stammered something
along the lines of, " the tha that mi might work, maybe."

Hitchens' plan might take the immediate heat off, but it would unfortunately
still leave us with Amadinejad and the Mullahs.  I don't share Hitchens view
of how pragmatic they are.  Khatami tried to get them to compromise and move
in a liberal direction and failed; so we probably aren't going to do any
better.  Hitchens scenario would solve the nuclear problem but not the
objectionable weltanschauung.  Only the younger generation in office (if
they could get there) could do that.

If we got a nuclear agreement but Iran felt free to continue to support
Hezbollah and other Islamist organizations, we might be worse off than we
are now.  That is, they may promise not to bomb us (which they probably
weren't going to do anyway) but for that agreement we may have to look the
other way at their terrorist activities.

However, if the Mullahs felt constrained to curtail their activities,
something Hitchens assumes, that could also work, but I fail to see the
incentive for them.  I wonder if Hitchens knows that Khomeini had an
interest in the Ummah.  He sought to play down the Shiite/Sunni differences
and tried to reach out to the Sunnis.  Also, I wonder if Hitchens is aware
of the Timmerman evidence that Al Quaeda used Iran as a training facility
for the 9/11 attack.  It may be harder to move Iran our way than Hitchens
thinks, but I like his idea anyway.

Lawrence