[lit-ideas] Re: Dutch support killer of van Gogh

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:51:15 -0000

Lawrence,

There are two dynamics at play here.

On the one side are the Islamists, a small, but distinct minority of the muslim
population. They have extreme views and, through pointing out the imagined
outrages of Western society, aim to enlist the growing support of less extreme
mulsims.

On the other side we have people like yourself who point fingers at that small
minority of muslims. You highlight them as representitive of the muslim
community at large.

Now, the strange thing is, both dynamics are moving in the same direction. You,
as representitive of the vocal element of the right wing are adding to the
stock of extreme fundamentalism. You are creating an enemy for yourself.

Sensible?

I think not.

Simon