[lit-ideas] Re: Dutch support killer of van Gogh

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:43:24 -0500

Lawrence: Note, we never declared war against Al
Quaeda but against “Terrorism,”

If I remember Bush's first speech of declaration of war, it was war against "terrorists of global reach." That makes more sense to me than war against mere "terrorism." In other words, we are not at war with the Tamil Tigers unless they start to acquire "global reach," the means and infrastructure capable of extending terrorist acts from their local or regional situations to strike globally. We are not at war with the Basque Separatists because their reach is likewise regional, not global.

There is a slight twist here also, which is not
much discussed. Namely that terrorists do form
spontaneous international associations, based on
their desire for justice-through-mayhem. For
example, former IRA bomb makers were/are active in
parts of South America; the Oklahoma City bombers
had suspected international associations with
people in the Philippines; and some Chechnyan
terrorists ended up in Afghanistan.

No doubt these alliances of convenience are also
targets of the war against "terrorists of global
reach."