[lit-ideas] Re: Don't Panic

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:22:19 -0500

John: ... some relatively sane people made the key decisions not to drop the bomb, to opt for containment instead plunging into another world war,to fund the Marshall Plan ...

Eric: Sad to say, but the historical truth is that we did not have many A-bombs. I think we had three. Prior to the Marshall Plan, Truman bluffed the Russians by sending our nuke-bomber squadron to England, knowing that the Russians would assume we were backing up support for our side of the Zone with nukes.

But we didn't have the nukes. It was a bluff. So containment was not only the wise choice, it was the only choice we had at the time.