[lit-ideas] Re: Don't Panic

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 07:46:29 +0900

Get real, Eric. We have plenty of evidence of what happens when boys with
toys start talking about vaporizing terrorists. If, as they are, the
terrorists are like Maoist guerrillas, concealed in a civilian population
whose members are inclined to vendetta, every new example of "collateral
damage" recruits new members to their cause. The Israelis have been trying
to be civilized about it for decades on the West Bank and in Gaza. The U.S.
is now learning the same lessons in Iraq. If you are even remotely serious
about the approach you recommend, you have to think Rome and Carthage,
Genghiz Khan or Tamerlane. There are now at least 1.6 billion Muslims in the
world. Killing them all? Yes, that's about half the world.

John

On 1/13/07, Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>"Vaporize" was, I believe, Eric's word. But, given that
you seem to see the world divided into two camps, doesn't he
belong to yours?

John, with his special training, can perhaps write about the
impact of projection in communication. I write about
vaporizing the terrorists, and John reads my words through
his construct of my views, his Eric-filter, so that
"vaporizing the terrorists" becomes "vaporizing half the world."

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
Tel. +81-45-314-9324
http://www.wordworks.jp/