[lit-ideas] Re: Don't Panic

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:12:33 +0900

Lawrence,

"Vaporize" was, I believe, Eric's word. But, given that you seem to see the
world divided into two camps, doesn't he belong to yours?

John

On 1/12/07, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John:

I don't recall doing any fulminating.  If you are referring to any of my
was doing.  Or if fulmination must be used it ought to be in connection with
a cry of anguish at being sucked back down the rabbit hole -- and it seems
so much larger than now than that, as though lots of things my size have
been sucked down there.  Actually, I confess to a wee bit . . . perhaps more
than that . . . of irritation at listening to a repetition of the mantra --
some variation of bad, bad, bad old Right Wing nut case picking on all those
nice little Baathist Iraqis, Saddam never did nothing to no body and he
looked so good standing up there shooting off that AK47, so manly, so . . .
so you ought to be ashamed of yourself he was a nice man but you went ahead
and killed him and those 300,000,000 innocent Iraqis, but did you care, oh
no.  You rubbed your hands with glee and mumbled kill, kill, kill while
drool ran down your chin and off that swastika tattooed on your chest to
drip onto your blood-soaked hob-nailed boots.

I was, you see, born in 1934 and have lived through one more war than you;
although I'm not sure what that means.  I was actually in the Korean War but
learned much more about it from reading a few books later on than I ever
learned over there.  Of course books can't convey the feeling of walking
post on a dark night a month after a purported attack by North Koreans with
the base's one Thompson Submachine gun which I only knew how to shoot in
theory.  I was stationed at "intelligence" bases at K8 & K30 if memory
serves me.  Also, I was on K30 on the Island of Cheju-do when the truce was
signed.  There were about 30 of us manning an early-warning station when the
South Koreans opened up a nearby (by near I mean about 100 feet) prison and
just let all the prisoners go.  Why they did that I never learned.  In
theory they could go back North if they so chose, but many of them went up
Chuju Mountain and we could see their fires burning at night.  We heard that
a couple of members of the Army Unit a few miles away had gone hunting and
ended up dead with their boots, rifles and other assorted possessions
missing; so we walked around with bandoleers making X's across our chests,
several grenades hooked to our belts and M1s which never left our hands.

But enough of me.  It seems that you accept the idea that the current
threat that we talk about is legitimate; so what remains is to consider the
1) the best means of defense, 2) the best method of deterring our enemies,
3) the best method of keeping the Middle East (that region of the Islamic
civilization most given to fulmination) quiet.  If we have any
responsibility in the region and just about everyone thinks we do.

But perhaps you think I'm whistling in the dark to conceal my true
feelings which are, PANIC.  Actually my feelings are far from that.  If the
current congressional majority forces us into a premature withdrawal from
Iraq and this is deemed by the Islamic Militants to be encouragement by
Allah to their militant efforts and there are several outbreaks of
fulmination to the disadvantage of our allies and to us, we'll I might just
chuckle at that.  If the watchman yells and yells and no one listens, what
is he to do when the barbarians storm the gates and wake the citizens with
fulminating balls of burning pitch (in wars that precede the both of us)?

But then I got to the end of your occasionally mild note and discover that
someone is being accused of wanting to vaporize half the world, and "that's
just nuts."  Now, who are you calling "nuts?"  Actually I don't remember
anyone wishing to vaporize half the world.  I recall some right-wingers
wanting to vaporize the Left and Right Coasts, but that's just in the U.S.,
not half the world.

Lawerence