[lit-ideas] Re: Conversation Without Implicature

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:01:22 -0500

JL: "As Occam (with his theory of 'sermo interioris') realised, it is
impossible
 to think that when I _think_ "God", I am using the word "ambiguously". No
such  thing as an ambiguous thought."

Well, I'm happy for Occam, but in fact I've never had a thought that was not
ambiguous.  Worse still, I'm not sure I've ever had a thought.  I've had
conglomerations of neuronal excitations -- but I'm not sure you would call
that thought.  I'm  not sure what a thought is.   My brain keeps my body
somewhat in step with itself -- but that's mostly feed-back loops as I
understand it.  Is that "thinking".  It's mental activity certainly.  So,
does that mean that my brain doesn't need me to do its thing?  I needs a
body, yes, like a tree.  A tree thinks, doesn't it?  It "knows" where the
light is strongest.  It "knows where water is.  It knows to seek out
nutrients.  It knows when to choke off the leaf-thing it does and go into
hibernation. Trees might not have a centrally located think-thing, but they
think, if thinking is "knowing the immediate environment and acting on it.
l doubt that trees get very philosophical in their thinking, but who am I to
say?  I don't speak arborish.  The only language I know is a dialect of
American English known as Mikegearyish.  I used to think that thought was
word-working.  A bit like whittling.  Slowly removing the ambiguities until
there was no doubt what this was all about.  Here!  See here!  The very
image of rationality.  Now I tend to believe that all that word-work is
nothing more  than teenage diary keeping -- the O so serious noting of the
hapless happenings to the Organism-That-Is-Me and bemoaning my outcast
state.  Why that organism would keep a diary, I don't know.  In fact, I
don't know anything.  To me everything is ambiguous, even the word "is".
But you go, guy.  Unambiguate away.

Mike Geary
maybe in Memphis