[lit-ideas] Re: Conversation Without Implicature

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 22:40:44 -0700

On Jun 24, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Donal McEvoy wrote:
>  And I don't know how they do that. The Falk magic must be part of it.

I went out for beer this evening with a theatre director.  We talked about
British and American acting.  His understanding was that the British training
starts with technique; American begins with what, for want of a better term, we
might call art.  In an earlier era I think we might have been talking about
Method acting and something else that was based in tradition.

Our subject, until we were diverted by the third pint, was "magic" and how one
conjures it.

I reminded him of "Wings of Desire."  Perhaps this would be a good moment to
remind you of this film too?  I admire it.

David Ritchie,
Portland,