[lit-ideas] Re: Conversation Without Implicature

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 20:17:43 -0400

Thanks, Donal. The usual case is, to put it another way, that people agree
on a definition, with or without wiggle room, that fits what they are trying
to do. Mathematicians are more precise than lawyers, who, in turn, are more
precise than actors or admen. Once again, I invoke the Sage, in that passage
to which Robert Paul pointed us some years ago:

Our discussion will be adequate if it has as much clearness as the
> subject-matter admits of, for precision is not to be sought for alike in all
> discussions, any more than in all the products of the crafts. Now fine and
> just actions, which political science investigates, admit of much variety
> and fluctuation of opinion, so that they may be thought to exist only by
> convention, and not by nature. And goods also give rise to a similar
> fluctuation because they bring harm to many people; for before now men have
> been undone by reason of their wealth, and others by reason of their
> courage. We must be content, then, in speaking of such subjects and with
> such premisses to indicate the truth roughly and in outline, and in speaking
> about things which are only for the most part true and with premisses of the
> same kind to reach conclusions that are no better. In the same spirit,
> therefore, should each type of statement be received; for it is the mark of
> an educated man to look for precision in each class of things just so far as
> the nature of the subject admits; it is evidently equally foolish to accept
> probable reasoning from a mathematician and to demand from a rhetorician
> scientific proofs.

Cheers,

John

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> [...]