[lit-ideas] Re: Conversation Without Implicature

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:45:20 -0400

Quick online searches in a variety of dictionaries suggest that the primary
definitions of ambiguity are

1. Indistinct or obscure, or
2. Susceptible of two or more interpretations

I have no trouble believing that lawyers would like to see ambiguity as a
choice between distinct meanings, since it is their job to argue for one or
another. But the the assumption that there must be distinct meanings, as
opposed, for example, to a soup of nuances, seems to me, like the assumption
that there must be a clear answer to every question, disputable. It is
sufficient for most human activity for there to be sufficient overlap in
interpretations for actions to be coordinated. It is, as any married man can
tell you, often unwise in the extreme to press for sharper definition.

John